Saturday, October 6, 2012

Retreat Recap

 (*** Did you know that the word "recap" is short for recapitulation?  I didn't until I sat down to write the title for this post.  Anyway - this is Serena Mouser writing a recapitulation of Ladies' Retreat 2012. ***)

There are so many reasons why I am thankful that I got to go to our Ladies' Retreat at Camp Pinewood last week.  I was just one of over a hundred women who attended and I am sure that we were all blessed in a variety of ways.  Here's my list of TOP TEN reasons why I am glad that I went:

1.  The THEME.

We studied the Book of Ruth during our three sessions.  Our theme was "Refuge in the Shadow of His Wings."  It is so easy to get caught up in the circumstances of everyday life and try to manage things in our own strenght.  We neglect to rest, trust and depend on our Kinsman Redeemer.  It was so refreshing to study what that title means.  (Jesus is our blood relative, with both the resources and the desire to pay the price of our redemption ~ just as Boaz was for Ruth.)

2.  The SPEAKER.

Louise Carey has a wonderful way of communicating Biblical truth with simplicity, sincerity and conviction.  Her personal experiences as a missionary wife in Guatemala add so many good illustrations to her messages.  We were a spellbound audience.

3.  The SINGING.

There is nothing like one guitar and 100+ female voices singing praise to God.  It was such a blessing to see the Eisenman girls (Dana, Maggie, Avery, and Jessica) leading our worship times together.

4.  The LOCATION.

McCall in the fall...enough said.  Even the drive up and back was pure bliss.  The weather and the colors were beautiful!

5.  The  FOOD.

Three delicious meals that I didn't have to prepare or clean up after.  Priceless.

6.  The PLASTIC COVERED BUNK MATTRESSES!

OK, so maybe not the mattresses that squeak loudly every time you take a breath.  But, it was fun to share a musty room with my mom, my sister, and two of my very close friends.

7.  The FELLOWSHIP.

The dining hall was packed and very loud at meal times.  It was fun to catch up with many ladies from other churches in our area.  Some women at the retreat have known me since I was a baby at the church in Notus...others were junior campers in my cabin when I was a counselor at Camp Maranatha.  It's always a blessing to be with my sisters in Christ!

8.  The LAUGHTER.

From Vera's crazy socks and our little prank varmint, to the late night talks with friends, there was a lot of laughter shared and many memories made. 

9.  The TEARS.

I am sure that it comes as no surprise that there were plenty of those as well.  I was prepared with plenty of Kleenex for the burning tears of conviction and the tears of pure joy.

10.  The ENCOURAGEMENT.

It's funny how a 24-hour retreat can give you the right motivation to keep pressing on.  Circumstances in the valley hadn't changed one bit when I got home, but my perspective of them had.  


I didn't take my camera along on the retreat, so I believe that Karen Scott gets the credit for these.

Our Speaker:  Louise Carey
a.k.a. "Naomi"

Our groups was so large that we had to meet in the sanctuary of the McCall Baptist Church rather than the chapel at camp.

The brisk walks between camp and the church were good times to talk.

Becky Ward, missionary wife to the Democratic Republic of Congo, was also able to attend the retreat.  She was so happy to be there and was also able to give a quick report on her ministries.

Friends from far and near came to enjoy the weekend.

The talented Eisenman girls.

These ladies did a fantastic job of organizing the whole event:


THANK YOU!
The hours of prayer and hard work really payed off.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap, Serena! Sounds like a great weekend! Maybe you can talk me into going next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! You are now appointed official "recap chairperson", Serena! Thanks for encapsulating the weekend so well.

    I loved the added "taste" of Louise's personal experiences of God's grace in a foreign country, the story of the applesauce pinata, and listening to her ministry as a "Beauty Salon Chaplain."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the drama Louise did Friday night. It was a wonderful, creative way to remember all the details in the Book of Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Serena, that was a wonderful recap of our retreat.

    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes- it was AWESOME! I'm glad I was able to serve at this event in the life of our church.

    ReplyDelete